View Single Post
Old 10-01-2023, 08:32 PM

Nice stamp...Sherman, as everyone knows, is the Pocketbook King. It is a little tough to make out the town, state, etc. that is listed for the business. Perhaps the OP can dechiper and pass along that info.

I imagine these rules were included as part of the box set. It just makes sense that this is the case.

And just for a little associated background information, here is what I wrote about the respective printing dates of the Tom Barker cards versus the National game game cards several years back, based upon the team change/photo change seen in the Hal Chase cards in both sets.

A few years ago it was neat to discover (maybe I wasn't the first) that the Hal Chase cards in the 1913 National Game and 1913 Tom Barker are different poses, with the National Game set designating him as a New York Yankee and depicting him in a Yankee uniform, while the Tom Barker designates him as a member of the Chicago White Sox and shows him in a White Sox uniform.

These two Chase cards definitively point to the fact that the National Game set was issued before the Tom Barker in 1913, since Hal Chase was traded from the Yankees to the White Sox on June 1st, 1913. Both the Tom Barker and National Game cards have a patent date on the back of the card of March 25, 1913. Thus the National Game set was likely first issued in spring of 1913, while the Tom Barker set had to have been issued late summer 1913 at the earliest.

Why is this cool? For rookie collectors who are persnickety, Grover Alexander's National Game card can be identified as being his first card issued, with his Tom Barker a close second.

Brian (Note: the Alexander is not my minty card)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nationalchase.jpg (70.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg barkerchase.jpg (61.2 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg nationalalexander.jpg (37.2 KB, 325 views)