View Single Post
Old 08-25-2023, 09:44 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
One of my favorite pickups from the National in Chicago is an unusual exhibition scorebook that I had never seen that has some interesting historic significance.

Monday, August 15, 1932 was the Bicentennial Anniversary of Washington DC.
Virtually all MLB baseball teams did not play on this date.

To commemorate the Washington DC Bicentennial, a special Exhibition game was played that pitted members of the 1924 World Champion Washington Nats team that included HOF Walter Johnson and Goose Goslin vs. the current 1932 Washington Team managed by WaJo.

WaJo pitched some of the innings for the 1924 World Champion squad and Marberry pitched the rest. Alas, the upstart 1932 Washington team best the 1924 Champions 6-2 in the game.

Here are some pictures of the scorebook which is remarkable shape considering it's over 90 years old.
I included a closeup of the inside of the scorebook that highlighted the individual significance of WaJo's only win in the World Series in a terrific HOF career.

Enjoy!
This was the Bicentennial of the birth of George Washington, not of the District of Columbia. The District of Columbia was created January 5, 1792. It is something I need to know for some of the legal research I do in D.C.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”