View Single Post
Old 08-07-2023, 06:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hey Hank- I have always bought with my eyes and my heart and not what my wallet says.

Several years ago, when my collection was at it's peak value-wise, I was able to show off my best with two of my siblings, who were in town for a rare visit. I explained to them that the cards were more than just the cardboard, they were representations of different times in history...and are the source of many enjoyable associated stories.

Almost all of those great cards were one I found ASTHETICALLY pleasing. They just happened to be valuable too.

So, when the market got high enough, I sold off almost all of those old, pretty things (though I kept my two 'Double Walters'). I do miss all my Cobbs & Ruths & those Allegehenys, but I had to do it.
It was nice to be the 'owner' of those great cards for a few years.

What remains are graded cards of players in my lifetime: Koufax, Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Ryan.

As far as modern (post 1980) cards are concerned, I still go after those cards that appeal to my ASTHETICALLY - some of the designs and photos are outstanding, though most are not.

I will always collect Braves and players with local ties and I also collect Topps Certified Auto'd cards.
If it ever comes out that those are fake, it's going to hurt...but, I can't get to card shows, so I have to rely on someone, supposedly, further up the hobby food chain for the authenticity.

IMO, it's a fool's errand to even attempt building modern sets...even if you're just doing the base version.

That being said, I have also indulged in buying sealed boxes...wind up donating most of them to good causes (right Tim?) - but keeping the Braves.

At my age, realizing that nobody else in my family has even a passing interest in my cards, I will have to continue to TRY to 'cull my herd'.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-07-2023 at 06:56 PM.