View Single Post
Old 08-07-2023, 09:49 AM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Some of us buy cards we like because we like them. But there are always posts about what to invest in and what cards have the biggest room for return, etc. I'm not sure that's really collecting either.

I do get why some people only buy for investment or monetary value though. I’m not talking the guys with the pelican cases. I’m talking guys here buying pre war. As you get older you really have to look at your investments. I’ve known guys that have gone from huge collections to 4 or 5 excellent cards. I would still consider them collectors even though they are now mainly concerned with returns on their cards. Modern collecting has its place too. It’s the reason for all this interest and huge prices on vintage cards. I do see a lot of people who jumped back into the hobby the past 3 years have big interest in 50s-70s cards. It’s nice to see guys get weaned off the shiny stuff. I have my share of shiny stuff too. I stopped in 2018. Too many products. I don’t mind the amount of refractors etc, but the amount of stuff to buy is astronomical. They have wax products and online products, the better stuff was harder to come by. If it’s the right player I have no problem selling this stuff. Ohtani stuff was easy sell as was Judge second year cards. These people buy this crap up. Modern cards are thriving especially now with Fanatics having breaks. These newer collectors eat this stuff up. I couldn’t really tell you if these people are baseball fans like people on this board or just casual fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk