View Single Post
Old 07-19-2023, 09:21 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
After having had my pocket picked at the Nat'l in Cleveland several years, losing about 4k in cash, credit card, passport, drivers license etc., I now carry a money belt securely fastened under my shirt, which if nothing else gives me confidence at the Big Show. I was the perfect target, drooling over a nice E95 Matty, trying to do a deal with the dealer, totally distracted. I would be always aware of my surroundings when talking to a dealer, particularly if someone is just a little too close for comfort. These perps often work in pairs: one distracts and the other picks.

You can rest assured that the Center will be seriously crowded, bumping and shoving is to be expected. You can be certain that thieves, scammers, grifters and hookers will see Chicago as a rich environment. Be on your toes and don't have an experience like mine.
I do not work for either company and get nothing from this, but I use these products. A rare time I will endorse anything without payment.

You can also purchase pickpocket proof pants and jackets. Once you get used to them they become second nature to use. They have side pockets that have an outside zipper. That is pretty easy for a pickpocket to pull up. Inside the pocket is a second pocket that is secured with velcro. That one could not be opened without you feeling it. Inside the main pocket is also a small pocket down the bottom that zips. It is good for hotel keycards, change or Colgan chip coins. They have business and adventure pants. The adventure pants have a small strap that goes across the pocket and buttons on the other side making it impossible to unzip. The back pockets require you to unbutton, unzip then unbutton again. No pickpocket can do that that quickly. The coat is also great. I own three pairs of pants and the jacket. I have worn the pants at The National.

See www.clothingarts.com. They are well worth the price and will have random sales of 10-25% off. Just get on their mailing list.

For bags check out www.travelonbags.com. I used their messenger bag in Paris and felt safe using it. Anti RFID blocking, slash resistant strap and panels. Also, the hooks that attach the strap to the bag lock and the zipper pulls are like caribiners that you hook onto a little ring to keep it closed. I bought my bag through the Macy's site and got 25% off.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 07-19-2023 at 09:23 PM.