View Single Post
Old 07-08-2023, 09:15 AM
Javan

Just getting around to reading this thread. I, too, am fascinated by the divide between those obsessed with Graham memorabilia and those who could care less. As an antique auto collector, I often relate sports to the car hobby.

When trying to grasp the Graham hype, think of the Delorean. The Delorean was a rather futuristic car when released but ultimately turned out to be a hunk of junk by a new car company that went down in flames. (Google John Delorean if you don’t know the story.) Nonetheless, if you were 7 years old when you saw Back to the Future like I was, it left an indelible mark on your childhood. To this day, when I see one, it evokes the feelings of seeing that movie and being mesmerized by the car. I would love to own one someday. The car collector in me knows it’s a hunk of junk, but the kid in me loves the memories it evokes.

For those who love Graham and his story, I’m sure he evokes the same emotions of watching the movie, and perhaps even falling in love with baseball nostalgia.
For those who are purely collectors, he’s a nobody who played an inning and should be valued accordingly.
Just my two cents!