View Single Post
Old 06-09-2023, 12:29 PM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It's important in other hobbies just to different degrees. Super important in some, not as much in others.

To me it matters depending on exactly who had it before.
For example, I have a couple stamps from FDRs collection - he was a collector, involved in choosing the designs for stamps while president, but somewhat oddly, didn't have many really valuable items.

I have a few other things from great collections, and they can be fun. Most big collections had a load of cheap things alongside the nicer ones.

I don't have cards with a provenance, but if I had a choice between one with and one without and they were equal I'd take the one with.

It’s a real big deal in coins. However, what’s interesting that neither PCGS or PSA capture the pedigree in their database. From what I heard Joe Orlando brought this up with the Black Swamp find, but there was no way to do it. I wanted to register my pedigreed cards, but couldn’t distinguish them as such (except in the set title). They give bonus points for being the highest or tied for the highest grade. If it’s deemed important enough to pedigree, why not give a slight kicker (10%?). Seems like a simple matter of programming.

The auction companies definitely highlight it. Look at the Mr. Mint Mantle 9.5. If anything brought a lot of extra attention to the auction.