View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 06:47 PM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I can see how it might be cool for the Fords or Williams above, when it is from the players estate or similar and is a connection to the player. For a player collector, that makes some sense to me.

Another collector, I tend to find a little silly. I don't care who owned a card before I did and I can't understand why I should. I throw the slip away when I get these holders and the 'provenance' is destroyed. That Collector X, Y or Z owned Card 1 before I did doesn't impact card 1 at all, it is either authentic or not and is in the condition that it is in. It is not more or less because of which of us dorks owned it.

Some of these other old-time advanced collectors were putting high grade sets together 40-60 years ago. There wasn’t a lot of money being thrown around, so to get it from one of them (and you can prove it) means there’s less of a chance that it’s been altered. Even cards that are in holders have slipped through PSA, SGC and others. It’s always nice to get the cards from an original owner. With today’s technology they can slip through grading companies as has been mentioned numerous times on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk