View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 07:58 PM
Eric Perry

Condolences to the family. The passing of a sports legend is also the passing of a person; someone about whom others cared quite deeply, regardless of the association to athletics.

# # #

On a note related to Jim Brown, something appeared on my Facebook feed that I found noteworthy.

One of the vintage card groups had a post which I'll paraphrase here. Someone was calling for a moratorium on the sale of Jim Brown cards. They cited "respect" as the reason. Their recommended time frame was one week.

Nobody in the group should sell any Jim Brown cards there for a week, out of respect.

I found the notion curious. What would such a thing accomplish? Is this a usual and customary response to an athlete's passing? It might be; I'm not sure.

In the wake (no pun intended) of an athlete's passing, I've seen asking prices for their cards suddenly double, triple, or more. Some (many) find the practice distasteful. I get that. Still, if people are buying X card at Y dollars, should sellers be shamed into not selling it?

From the other side of the equation, look at things from a buyer's point of view. Imagine someone wanted a Jim Brown rookie...but couldn't find one anywhere. It's almost a Yogi-ism. Where can I find a Jim Brown? Oh, nobody's selling them right now; demand is at an all-time high.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra