View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 05:40 PM
Val Kehl

Default Wilmer Fields

For the last 10+ years, I have resided in Manassas, VA, a distant suburb of Washington, DC. Wilmer Fields is a relatively obscure player who was born in Manassas, grew up and went to high school in Manassas, and lived in Manassas permanently after his nomadic baseball career was over. Fields was a quality pitcher who was also a very good outfielder and third baseman. Fields played for the Homestead Grays in the Negro National League, in various Latin American leagues, and in Canada. He declined offers in the late 1940's and early 1950's from several MLB teams for reasons that made good sense to him. Some, including Mr. Fields himself, have suggested that he belongs in the HOF. Here's the link to Fields' SABR biography, which is a most interesting read: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/Wilmer-Fields/ Below is Fields' 1952 Parkhurst Frostade card - I'm not aware that any other cards of Fields were issued during his playing career.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.