View Single Post
Old 05-07-2023, 03:00 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default 1973 Phillies Team Poster

I posted about this 11 years ago. Time for a refresh!

Over the past 40 years or so, I have been trying to find out some info on this poster. I have had it stored for the past decade plus to prevent any UV damage, but recently pulled it out with the thought of maybe getting it framed properly.

For some reason (mainly because of my Schmidt-centric PC), I never really dove into the content of the picture. It really strikes me as odd.

1) There are 35 players (plus 2 listed as missing). Was this a 40-man roster photo? I mean, they noted that Nelson Garcia was missing? AA Reading, never made the bigs, Nelson Garcia????

2) 10 of the players pictured did not make the ballclub (including Mike Bruhert who was returned to the Mets before the 3rd game of the season).

Jim Nash was released 15 days prior to the 1st game (3/22/73 vs 4/6/73.) So that helps date the photo.

Downs, Clark, Stone, and Leshnock played their last MLB games in 1972. Bannister didn't make his debut until July 1974. Stephenson, Martin, and Garcia spent 1973 in Eugene or Reading.

3) I haven't pinned down if any players not pictured made the opening day roster. Mike Wallace was called up in June and Craig Robinson was called up in July. Those are the 2 'extras' to what I believe are the active 25.

Anyone have any theories or experience with something like this with your hometown team? Searching hasn't helped as most of the results have been for the standard 25 player official stadium team photos.

Hope someone found this at least a little bit interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73 Phillies.jpg (203.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 73 Phillies roster.jpg (84.8 KB, 107 views)