View Single Post
Old 04-29-2023, 03:55 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Michael

Where you there to see (or hear) Tommy Byrne pitching and/or pinch-hitting) ?

I was an avid Baseball fan at a young age. If I wasn't watching BB on our TV, then I was listening to it on the radio. And, once in a while my folks would take us to Yankee Stadium.

Furthermore, my nearby neighbor in Hillside, NJ was Phil Rizzuto. Who would drive down our street to get to Yankee Stadium. Many times during that trip, Phil would stop and talk
with us kids.

For your information, the quote regarding Tommy Byrne' s pinch-hit grand slam HR was from SABR (not Wiki).

Tommy was one of my favorite Yankees. The memories of him have endured. Therefore, unless, you are as old as I am who saw Tommy Byrne play.....this discussion ends here.

TED Z

T206 Reference
I never questioned that he hit a pinch-hit grand slam, nor your memories of him, nor whether he was a good hitting pitcher.

I questioned that he had 80 career pinch hits, which (I assume) came from Wiki. Maybe it is mentioned in other places, but that's where I saw the number.

Other sources say he had six. This seems to be the correct number, no matter how many games you saw or heard, or who your neighbor was.

I am unaware of the rule that someone can only discuss players they saw play. Considering that this is a vintage forum, there wouldn't be much for anyone to discuss!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbyrnewiki.JPG (21.3 KB, 234 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 04-29-2023 at 04:31 PM.