View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 02:19 PM
George E.

I bought a 30s R card lot in order to get a few Gold Medal Foods cards I needed to complete my set. I paid $126 dollars for it, which is the most I have ever spent on a single card purchase. But I was fairly confident I could sell some of the cards and mitigate the cost. And that definitely proved true. I got the last Gold Medal card I needed - a tough-to-find Firpo Marberry, and was able to upgrade four others in the set and sell the duplicates. I sold about half the remaining cards at the time and recovered my cost. But I wish I still had them. The condition on these cards was prisitine for R cards, and I probably should have gotten them graded. I still have some of the bigger cards from the group. All told, if the market remains, I probably got 15X the value out of that lot.

To sum up according to the point of the original post, the surprise of it was two-fold, some of the cards included in the lot ended up being better players and more rare issues than I thought. And the superior condition of all of the cards was something I didn't realize was as big of a deal as it was until recently.