View Single Post
Old 04-07-2023, 02:52 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Not really interested in upgrading my 1953-55 Dormands but I had subbed what I thought would be at minimum a 6 to SGC on Gil Hodges and it came back a 4.5. Now that I am obsessively looking for the remaining 2 cards to complete the set, I did find a Gil SGC 8 that was too good of a deal to pass up. Again, wouldn't care except this card comes with such a cool back story having an 8 is pretty cool.

For those who don't know the story...the quick of it at one time this card was considered one of the rarest post-war cards of them all. These were produced for the players to hand out, and then some were made for sale at Yankee stadium. The old theory was that Gil threw his away and only a few survived. Apparently the card was selling for 5 figures at one time, IF one came available. When the maker of the cards passed away, the family was cleaning out the basement...and found Gil's lot of 500 in untouched condition! They were then sold at auction, all to one bidder, who then proceeded to sell to the hobby. The poor folks that shilled out big bucks to have this card now found their card worth less than pennies on the dollar. Feel bad for those guys, but so it goes. I now have 2! haha....

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03