View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 03:53 PM
Tom S

Default I'm not angry

Whenever I reminisce about the old days people seem to think I am an "angry old man". Nothing can be further from the truth. I am just thankful for the era I grew up in. Big difference. Today's kids will feel the same 30 years from now.

I miss the days when there was 2 separate leagues with no inter-league play. I miss buying the American League Green Book and the National League Red Book. Two separate sets of umpires etc. The Mystery of how the World Series plays out ahead of time because the teams didn't meet during the regular season.

Sure a Yankee Met or Cub White Sox regular season series could be captivating, But a Rockies Tigers series not too much so.

Some fans will point out that they deserve to see all super stars in their home park regardless of league. Well National League fans didn't see Mickey Mantle or Lou Gehrig and American League fans didn't see Willie Mays or
Roberto Clemente and the sport thrived.

I am not a complete traditionalist. I do think when the league's went to 3 divisions a Wild card format was needed to keep interest.

Adding the one game playoff in 2012 was a little too much though. To me it is just a one day extension of the regular season.

The year before the Wild card changed hands multiple times the final day of the season making for an exciting finish. MLB, rather than applauding the exciting finish, over reacted and lowered the standard for post season play.

Regards