View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 06:49 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...lution_ES-11/4

United Nations General Assembly Resolution ES‑11/4 is the fourth resolution of the eleventh emergency special session of the United Nations General Assembly, adopted on 12 October 2022, following Resolution ES-11/3 which was adopted on 7 April 2022. Resolution ES‑11/4 declares that Russia's so-called referendums in the Donetsk, Kherson, Luhansk and Zaporizhzhia oblasts and the subsequent attempted annexation are invalid and illegal under international law. It calls upon all states to not recognize these territories as part of Russia. Furthermore, it demands that Russia "immediately, completely and unconditionally withdraw" from Ukraine as it is violating its territorial integrity and sovereignty. The resolution was passed with an overwhelming vote of 143 in favour, 5 against and 35 abstaining. This resolution achieved more votes in favour of condemning Russia's actions than Resolution ES-11/1, the initial resolution on the Russian invasion of Ukraine which demanded that Russia withdraw its forces from Ukraine.

The ones supporting Russia were: Belarus, North Korea, Nicaragua, Russian Federation, Syria, and Irv.
Very much aware of that UN vote Mark. Yet some people on the forum talk like that isn't the case, and still seem to totally blame the U.S. for everything.

If your post was more along the lines of commenting on India not necessarily being an ally of Russia, I was thinking of their recent cooperation with the BRICS group's plans for a possible new world financial order, as well as the continued, and apparently growing, commerce between India and Russia, especially in regard to oil purchases. And though India did not vote against the UN resolution, I believe they did abstain from it. And what is the old saying, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do (or in this case - say) nothing."

When India and China together represent about a third of world's entire population between them, that is not an insignificant fact to be easily dismissed. I always used to think of India and South Africa (the "I" and "S" in the BRICS group) as being more democratic and Western leaning, but now am wondering if maybe the U.S. alliance with Europe, especially Great Britain, may not be working against us to some extent with both of these nations. Especially in regard to any lingering ill-will and prejudice from when these two countries were controlled, taken advantage of, and had their citizenry abused by their British colonial oppressors. India didn't break from English colonial rule until 1947. South Africa didn't finally dump English colonial control until 1961, but the institution and effects of apartheid weren't formally overthrown till even later, around 1994. We dumped the British in the late 1700's, and then beat them again in the War of 1812. We've had over 200 years to forgive and forget our former British rulers. India and South Africa haven't had quite as long, so I can possibly see them being a little bit more hesitant to automatically just side with someone so aligned with England.

And by the way, South Africa also abstained in that UN Resolution vote as well.