Thread: Feller rookie?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 08:19 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I agree. I was being a little dramatic. In the range of collectibles that could be considered someone’s rookie “card”, I agree that a supplement is closer to a card/rookie piece than a magazine or newspaper picture/piece.

Let me be clear- I think those early sporting life supplements are totally awesome. And I think a reasonable argument could be made that, at least with Wagner, it could be a rookie “card”. I just don’t think it is. I don’t think they are cards. I don’t think the composites are either. They are more like a collectible picture or poster or something. I think one could argue that cabinets and post cards are not “cards” also, although I think they are. But that’s just my opinion, and you know opinions are like assholes…

Collect what you like, that’s really all that matters.
I totally agree. Collect what you like. I am torn on whether supplements are "cards" are not, but I have always felt that cabinets, postcards and Exhbits are cards. I totally respect why others would disagree.

The 1899 Wagner is an interesting item to examine. Personally, I like the The Sporting News variety that has the August 19, 1899 date on the front of it and was issued as an actual supplement with the newspaper on that day. I am not as familiar with the National Copper Plate issue, but judging by the one that has been on ebay which has two binding holes on the left edge, and no advertising, I assume that it was issued in some sort of portfolio. It is still very cool, but not as "card-like" to me since it was not issued on its own.

We collectors are definitely quirky which makes the hobby so unique.