View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 09:39 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
When I was a younger man and had yet to make the acquaintance of many other (autograph) collectors, it was my ignorant assumption that anyone could become as learned in the hobby as they wished, provided they put in the time and effort. The "10,000 hours" concept had yet to become a thing or gain mainstream popularity. Going down life's road a piece, I was to learn that there are some collectors who have spent the better portions of their long lives immersed in the hobby--and they still can't buy basic clues! It turns out that the 10,000 Hour Rule does not apply to any facet of sportscard/autograph/memorabilia collecting. It would only be of assistance if a person possesses an innate aptitude for it. You either have it or you don't.

Frankly, the 10,000 Hour Rule is hogwash. I've spent far more than 10,000 hours playing the piano. Am I a more skilled player than most people in the world? Probably, but most people on the planet don't spend that many hours playing the piano. I will always be far inferior to any professionals. I could never make a living at it, and even another 10,000 hours could do nothing to change that. My natural aptitude only allows me to get so far.
You described the Dunning-Kruger Effect.