View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 06:06 AM

While it's understood that grading cards is subjective, being a consistently decent grader of raw cards shouldn't be that difficult, aside from detecting any well-done alterations. Simply assign each card one rung down on the scale from where you feel it truly stands (or half a rung). Be conservative and your customers will love you.

I picked up some cards sight unseen a couple of weeks ago. A few of them were listed as VG, others EX. Imagine my utter shock when I received what I felt were NM (the VG) and MT (the EX)! I wrote to thank the seller for being so incredibly conservative in their grading. Being as careful as that particular seller was is not expected, nor does it make any sense, but it certainly made up for all the overgrading that gets done on sportlots. They were pretty valueless cards, but were needed for a purpose, so a gorgeous card is a gorgeous card regardless!

Not a big fan of "[grade] or Better" in anyone's listings. It's too ambiguous. "Well, it might grade this, or it might grade that!" Just leave the "or Better" out of the title. Informed buyers can interpret things for themselves. "or Better" may only lead to providing false hopes to less educated customers who submit to TPAs and it turns out to be "or Worse". I'm certainly not calling any seller out for overgrading by saying any of the above, nor is any of this directed specifically at Greg Morris Cards.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-16-2023 at 06:08 AM.