View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 07:28 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I dislike it for many reasons:

1) Long extra inning games are fun (yeah thats why more than half the stadium is empty after 11th inning or so)
2) It feels to me, even after three years of it now , incredibly artificial. (Like they introduced an element that shouldn't be there) (DH isnt artificial? banning the shift?)
3) It violates a fundamental rule of the game - you have to reach base in order to score (you only allowed to reach base if you can be tied after 9 innings, if you dont you dont reach base like that)
4) As others have stated, it messes with stats in a way that seems goofy (getting hits off fielders or scoring a double in the gap because pitcher is playing the outfield doesnt mess with the stats?)

I get that MLB is trying to shorten games, but as fans, don't you want more of the game? I honestly would have preferred games to end in a tie after 12 innings than this. (yeah thats why hockey got rid of only ties, and have expanded how ties are done because ties are so great)

And one other point that struck me - the fact that they will only do this for regular season games, to me, is a tacit admission that the idea is silly: "Oh, don't worry fans, we'll still play real baseball in extra innings when the games actually count"
NFL has different OT rules now for regular season and postseason

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-14-2023 at 07:29 AM.