View Single Post
Old 12-28-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Is that Ruth in the lower right corner wearing a Boston jersey? By 1920, practically the whole world knew he was no longer a Red Sox player.
The label on the graded card actually mentions 1920's, and this set may have been released somewhere around 1923 or so, due to the inclusion of boxer Luis Firpo.

Below is a quote I pulled regarding Firpo and the possible issue year by our own Adam the Exhibitman in a real old Net54 thread, as well as visuals of the box that supposedly housed these panels (along with a bunch of other items), that I found as well on another even older thread.

"The boxers card gives some help as to when the box of goodies with it was likely issued. The lower left hand image is Luis Angel Firpo [I have definitely ID'd it from an old photo]. Firpo, the Wild Bull of the Pampas, was Argentinean and did not arrive in America until early 1922, and gradually moved into the heavyweight contender picture over the next year and a half, fighting here and in Latin America until he fought and beat Jess Willard in July 1923, then fought and lost to Jack Dempsey in September 1923. I don't think it likely that he would have been picked for an American card set before that since he had never even fought here until early 1922."

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Universal Surprise Box cover.jpg (35.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg universal toy surprise.jpg (28.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Universal Toy and Novelty Surprise Box.jpg (32.1 KB, 186 views)