View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 12:28 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Trimmers, alterers, shillers forgers and counterfeiters are our hobby's dark web. Embarrassed as I am to tell the tale, i got skunked via Ebay about 7 years ago. I bought a raw Wolverine News Cobb, examining everything i could from the optics provided. It looked about vg shape. I knew, of course, how rare the WN set is and why would it pop up on Ebay instead of AH, but I pulled the trigger.

My plan was to get it graded at the National (LOTG Al might remember, as I passed the card to many learned heads at his table), using SGC. I submitted the card and held my breath. When I went to pick up the card, their head grader came and gave me the bad news that the card was bogus. He said it had taken them a while, the paper stock was right, the aging in line, to determine it was no good. Why? The pixels weren't right. Tail between legs, I slumped away wondering what the f#%k is a pixel.

I fear humility is eroding within the hobby, so I pull that faux Cobby out from time to time to remind myself of my own failings.