View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 01:59 PM
Dave Johnson

A number of years ago at the national in Chicago, (WAY before the huge lines PSA gets at the National these days) I did a 1 day turnaround on a high valued Bobby Jones Golf Card from the Abdulla set. It came back as a PSA 4 when I thought for sure it was a PSA 6 maybe a 7.

So, while sulking at the PSA table upon opening my order I asked if I could talk to someone to see why this only graded a 4.

Joe O. got someone to come out from behind the blue curtain to get me, they took me back there, put it under a much brighter light and then showed me a very small surface crease on the back of the card...which was not super easy to see even with the better direct lighting they had. While back there the "guy" showed me the machines sealing the cards in the holders (not quiet mind you those things were LOUD) and I basically was told they were happy to answer any question I had about my grades and made sure my questions were answered.

Doubt something like this would ever happen again in today's day and age, but It was cool to see "behind the curtain" so to speak, even if just for a few minutes. A pretty cool experience.