View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 03:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
In the future I am confident there are a lot of things that will be able to be done that cannot be done today. My comment was about the present and past.

I know nothing about counterfeiting but I know humans are greedy and look for any angle to make a buck. I stick to what I wrote--I have yet to see a counterfeit vintage card that almost fooled me. My guess is that it would be far easier to counterfeit a modern card than it would be to counterfeit a vintage card.
The thing with high end counterfeits is that several things need to happen for it to be possible.

1) You need someone with the ability to do the actual counterfeiting work.
2) You need the equipment or a place to use it with no one else knowing about it.
3) Someone who is a scammer.
4) Knowledge of the card market.
5) Materials to do the work.
6) All this plus a little more needs to be done by as few people as possible to keep the secret.

Getting everything needed by someone who is a scammer would leave a small pool of people. There is a known ring in NJ that has been counterfeiting cards and then forging autos on them for years. So it is not like it isn't being done but few are doing it with any quality.

Personally if counterfeiting T206s I would do the Red Cobb. It is not rare and commands a decent price with a plain easy design. For T206s the only big thing would be a CNC machine to make the limestone plates. That and someone that can program the CNC machine to make the plates.