View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 03:11 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
They could be made today. But it's still a fair amount of effort, and at least the paper stock isn't something you can just pick up at a craft store. (I tried a few, nothing they carry is the right thickness.)

And most fakers are lazy. Why spend a lot of money and effort to produce a card that will be closely examined, when you can print something that will pass from 10 feet on your home printer and sell it as "maybe a reprint" for stupid money and no scrutiny? And do that hundreds of times over.

But I do think Corey has a point, with a Wagner being a million + the attraction of making a great fake will draw someone with the necessary skills. And I have doubts that the examination PSA or SGC might do will be enough.
In the future I am confident there are a lot of things that will be able to be done that cannot be done today. My comment was about the present and past.

I know nothing about counterfeiting but I know humans are greedy and look for any angle to make a buck. I stick to what I wrote--I have yet to see a counterfeit vintage card that almost fooled me. My guess is that it would be far easier to counterfeit a modern card than it would be to counterfeit a vintage card.