View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 03:41 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default What the Hell SGC I am out

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I've even had more cards sent to me damaged in slabs than I have in top loaders. Loose fitting PSA slabs letting odd sized items smack around, SGC's black insert damaging the border of a card, etc.
Cards that move in their slabs (“rattlers”) used to bother me to no end. If the card moved constantly, I would bust the slab. Pretty soon, I was busting most of the ones I bought. Many cards in One Touches did the same thing. The thing about the movement is that while it can be annoying (especially the ones that do it egregiously) I’ve never seen it actually damage a card. I think the physics of most slabs is just such that it would be really difficult to do major edge damage to a card with normal handling. I wouldn’t suggest using a slab as an air hockey puck…

SGC’s jagged edge inserts - they used to be a lot more common than you see now - to me seem more problematic. SGC cards don’t move in the slab nearly as often as you see with PSA, but the potential for something really bad to happen there to me seemed a lot worse.

All of this in the name of grading. Sometimes it’s silly. A card in a toploader and penny sleeve generally won’t move. A card in a card saver won’t move. But oh, get your collection “preserved” with grading…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-19-2022 at 03:44 PM.