View Single Post
Old 11-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
I got an interesting mass email from a major auction house yesterday discussing the recent poor performance of modern cards and the steady reliability and value retention of vintage cards. I thought it was strange for an auction house to all but write off a segment of the hobby, but they did raise some quality points. Do pre-war and vintage collectors think that those who have been spending big bucks on modern pieces will throw in the towel and turn to vintage? If this becomes a trend will we see even more competition for the stuff that we like? I know that some people enjoy vintage and modern, but we may soon see some trying to cut modern losses and begin to target vintage which could drive the good stuff up even higher. 🤔

Ethan
What would be the reasoning? Is it 1)people wanted to invest their money in "alternative assets," decided that modern cards are not safe enough, but think that vintage cards are; 2)people who love collecting sports cards need to collect something, and decide to shift their collecting focus from modern to vintage; or 3)people who love watching sports and getting cards of the players they watch suddenly decide to learn about Wagner and Mathewson? I'm not sure I find any of those narratives terribly believable, but perhaps #1 and #2 are more believable than #3.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars