Thread: News from SGC
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 07:29 AM

I wonder whether there was any change (up or down) on the number of prewar submissions, before vs during and now post Covid. I bet there was none.

I tend to agree with Snowman that the massive influx of grading demand came from modern, which, for me, includes junk wax 1980’s and 1990’s issues of all sports (not just baseball). I bet there was an uptick in post 1950 cards as well, but I doubt that was the jet fuel that fed the Covid grading boom. I think it’s almost all modern.

One thing to remember is that prewar has a pretty “sticky” collector base. Maybe it’s our age, relative socio-economic position, or love for old things, but prewar collectors tend to hold their cards and view them as collections more than investments. As a result, the fortunes of prewar (including who is grading what) is likely a lot less fickle than modern cards

I think SGC is absolutely referring to modern(ish) in the video and I think their business, like all graders, boomed and now may start to bust (a little) because of modern.