View Single Post
Old 10-08-2022, 03:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I agree with the Yankee hating. It’s a valid position that keeps me going, simply because there are far too many Yankee fans out there, and they’ve achieved way more success than anyone else in the game. I’ll admit to being jealous when they succeed, coupled with a solid dose of schadenfreude whenever they struggle. They’re due for a nice 100-year drought, although I won’t live long enough to see it.

I don’t understand the notion that Maris is still the king. That just seems silly all around. Any way you slice it, Maris is no longer on top. He was the man for a long time, but his reign is officially over, whether since 1998 or 2022, take your pick. And if you want to argue that Maris was never the man because it took more than 154 games to top 60, then there’s that angle as well.

I do think there’s room to debate how big of a deal it is for Judge to hit 62, particularly since he didn’t get to 61 before game 155. For me, I’m not seeing the attraction to making it a big deal. It’s a nice deal, and I certainly appreciate his accomplishments, but that’s about it. But if it gets your heart beating fast and gives you a jolt of endorphins, then who am I to tell you that you’re silly for getting excessively worked up about something that doesn’t seem that important to me, particularly since I’m sure that many of the sporting accomplishments that get me excited are probably largely ignored by most everyone else.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel