View Single Post
Old 10-08-2022, 08:23 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
As one of the guilty parties here, with a handful of items for sale on eBay for generous prices, while you could certainly ascribe pejorative motives to my actions, the fact is that for most of the items that I have listed, I’m not really motivated to sell them. They’re available if someone really wants them so badly to pay a lot for them, but otherwise I’m happy to continue to enjoy them in my own collection.

Most of the items that I have listed are also not easy to find, so if someone wants it badly enough, and doesn’t want to wait for months or years for another one to come up for sale, my item might be their only viable option to pick it up.

And I’m okay with waiting years to sell them. I’m also fine with never selling them at all.
I totally get this. I have things that aren't for sale but can be bought. Sometimes I'll throw a line in the water and see if anything bites. But I generally leave it up for a couple weeks. There are things on ebay I've seen in my search results for 5 years. One high priced item in particular, the seller doesn't even respond to offers (and I've sent offers that were within $200 of his $1800 asking price, so I'm not trying to lowball him). Some sellers treat eBay like their virtual man cave.

The $600 threshold has definitely hurt ebay. To the point that they're now touting faster payouts on their home page, trying to draw sellers back. But right now I can go five hours between searches and there will be one or two new hits in a search that brings 42,000 largely old stale results. That was never the case before, as recently as a year or so ago.

Last edited by Fballguy; 10-08-2022 at 08:26 AM.