View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 03:05 PM
Frank Wakefield

Valid points, Hank.

EVERYONE should listen to the CDs of The Glory Of Their Times.

Before Ruth, bats were a bit longer, and the handle a bit thicker. The center of gravity of the bat was different. Players didn't want to break bats, that could get expensive.

When Ruth starts swinging for the fences, he's using heavy bats with thin handles, that moves the center of gravity toward the barrel and away from the hands. Other players start swinging those bats.

I do think that there are repetitive exercises that can increase arm speed a bit, but not to the point where everyone (I'm including all kids, not future college and professional players) can be throwing in the 90's.

Seems to me that Ruth's time and now are different. Lighting is better (I know, night games, but on dark, cloudy days parks turn on their lights). Baseballs that are in the game are cleaner; and are manufactured to be more consistent. Health care is better, including eyecare. Travel is better. Players and teams are mindful of physical fitness and conditioning. Players are generally in better shape, better able to excel at the game. If Ruth were around today, maybe he'd have a cell phone or two to facilitate carousing...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-02-2022 at 03:05 PM.