View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 07:47 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
In about 1982 I traded a guy 9 1978 Eddie Murray's for a 1962 Mays. My mom wanted to call his parents to un-do the deal. I said, "Mom, we got those Eddie Murrays at Stop & Go for 35 cents a pack."
During what I believe to be the exact same year I remember a neighborhood friend receiving a literal bushel basket of the most trashed cards from his uncle. I remember buying a small handful for around 3-5 bucks of mostly Kellogg's 3d cards and some rando late 60's & early 70's beaters. His mom called to undo that sale the same day because she was sure they were worth millions. Looking back at the cards, i probably was overpaying, lol.

Now the trade I made in 85' or so, which was the GI Joe Snake Eyes Silent Marvel Issue (A BIG deal at the time), straight up for a 1954-55 Topps #8 Gordie Howe and more really turned out to be lopsided in my favor long term. His mom should have called.

As to the OP's question: I have been in this fairly non-stop since 79 and can never remember a time that the RC was not the most valuable card for a player (generally). I guess it makes sense that catalog designations helped with focus. However, It is funny that some of the most talked about cards including the 52' Mantle are not a rc.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.