View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 01:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
None of the sets I build could be construed as rare, but I have increasingly come around to this view of things. It's a hobby for me and nothing more.
Rare stuff is the only way I ever end up with an EX type card to downgrade . My Topps and Bowman stuff starts out low grade and stay there. My Mickey's and Willie's all have creases, but I love them anyways. Pretty much the only things I try and avoid are paper loss over the back write up (because I read them), and anything sticky on the card (because I store mine without any sleeves, touching the adjacent cards). Creases, round corners, a missing corner, a kid writing his name in the back border, these are features not defects that let me buy more cards to enjoy than I could if I did them minty fresh. I'm 95%+ done with my 1952-1973 Topps run; if I did them NM-MT I could have maybe a single set, probably not even that, for the same money. I find it more personally fun to have many more sets with creases instead of sharp corners to take out of the safe and flip through, variation hunt, and sort.