View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 10:41 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupe the Second Sacker View Post
For items purchased at an auction house or ebay, yes there are receipts. But shows? Responding to ads in the paper? No receipts.

I don't follow the "relative current market values" comment. If I bought a Pete Rose card at a show 15 years ago and don't remember what I paid...what is the cost basis? Not talking about a lot here...individual cards.

I think there are plenty of casual sellers that sell over $600 in a year. That's not difficult to do, especially these days.
Allow me to update my comment about "current market value". I was referring to current market value at the date of acquisition, not as of today's date. If I purchased 100 cards in a large lot 15 years ago, then I would use the relative market values at the date of acquisition to allocate the cost between those 100 cards.

If you can't remember what you paid for a card from 15 years ago, then it sounds like your basis is probably zero. I would be tempted to dig deep into my memory to come up with a ballpark, although doing so could be dangerous.

In terms of getting over $600 per year in sales, you're right that the new rules require reporting once you hit that level. However, I wouldn't be surprised if those rules get modified. The reporting burden seems like it could be significant, and I expect that there will be an outcry to raise that limit.