View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 04:33 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 topps View Post
I feel raw vintage is still plentiful at shows especially if you don’t care much about building EX-MT and up set condition. However, graded vintage say NM and up is getting harder and harder to find. Commons even more so than stars.

As far as graded set building goes it’s getting tougher and much more expensive. Personally I’d love an all vintage show and would travel anywhere in the country for a large show. Been to Strongsville a couple times and it’s really a small show, not really worth my 13 hour drive each way.

Philly usually has a decent amount of graded vintage, other than the national it’s the best one I know of.
If they really are thinking that if the National ever does come back to Cleveland, of moving it from the IX Center to the Huntington Convention Center in the downtown area, maybe the people now running the Strongsville show should approach the group that now handles the IX Center to see about moving their shows there to the IX Center in the future. The IX Center is literally just a few freeway exits north of where the Strongsville show has always been put on, about 10 minutes or so away. That way they could easily expand the old Strongsville vintage show and have pretty much as many dealers as would want to come and set up there.

When Paul Fusco was running the show, over the years he would have the likes of SGC, JSA, or REA on site. Steve Menzie, the owner operator of Toronto's Sports Card and Memorabilia Expo, has taken over running the show since Paul's passing a few years back, and had various auction houses and JSA at the 2022 show earlier this year, following a two-year hiatus because of Covid. They always talk of having a fairly long list of dealers waiting to be able to do the Strongsville show. Moving it up the road to the IX Center would allow them to be able to accommodate all those waiting dealers, and then some. Hopefully they'll continue to keep the future shows all vintage oriented, as they have done in the past. One can only hope, right?