View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
They are going to end up with a corporate extravaganza that nobody wants to pay the fee to see.

It seems like they are trying to be more like Comic-Con but that setup and experience will not work with this hobby. As someone that goes to Comic-Con and shows like that with my wife they are an “experience” that you are paying to have. People dress up and just enjoy talking to people that have similar interests as them. There are celebrity panels, art demonstrations, cosplay contests and and tons of small get togethers by people with a niche focus that look forward to those experiences all year. None of those kind of things are what people go to the NSCC to do. What would be gained by the person paying hundreds of $$ to get in by having a corporate area 3x the size? The least busy area at all these types of shows are the auction house booths. They can have $5 million dollars worth of stuff in a case and there will 5 to 10 people an hour (maybe) that stop and look at their 30x30 booth because they can see the same cards easily online.

At all those “Comic” type of shows that I have been to the “dealer” portion was largely an afterthought. The NSCC has always been about people looking to add to their collections, buying/selling, flipping, admiring collections and things of that nature. I just don’t understand what the people attending in the future would be getting if they do indeed “ go corporate”
Well said Rhett,
Maybe pre war collectors can get back to trading in back alleys, smoke filled barrooms, and empty warehouses in Cleveland like it should be.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-