View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 06:23 PM
Rich

Default National

Every dealer I spoke to said they were having a great show on Thursday and Friday at the National. The crowds were crazy both days, but I would estimate that the crowd on Thursday was larger than Friday's. I thought most dealers had their prices for cards from the 1940's to 1970s price generally at retail. Although the prime Rookie cards of those years were listed higher. I did find that most dealers were willing to accept less than their original asking price if you asked politely and did not ridicule their original prices. Dealers were even willing to move off their asking prices for Mantles. I got a high grade 1968 Mantle I needed for my set by asking what the dealer's best price was and he knocked 15% off what I thought was a good market price to begin with. My favorite "pricing" incidents were watching how dealers responded to people who argued with them that their prices were unreasonable! Most of the dealers I saw dealing with this confrontation tried to explain calmly at how they valued their cards. I only saw one exchange where the potential buyer swore at a dealer because he thought the dealer should have taken his offer. But, there were a lot of people arguing rather than haggling over prices. First time I had noticed this at a show. Probably not that unusual nowadays, but somehow I had not noticed before. Many, Many teenage kids and younger, almost all collecting modern shiny stuff. I also noticed a pattern that people of Asian heritage seemed to be overwhelmingly interested in recent modern card dealers tables. Just an observation that was hard to miss.

Last edited by uyu906; 07-30-2022 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling