View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 11:59 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Bob, that's a great question.

Trout's health going forward and retirement.

I may be in the minority, however I say retire now.

It could be the difference of him being able to walk in 10 years or confined to a wheelchair. Not mention the possibility of being on pain killers the rest of your life.

Better put health first. Those of us who have dealt with serious health issues know that's truth.
I'm wondering the same thing as well. As many have opined so far, his career up to now they feel is already HOF worthy. But how quickly can that perception possibly change in some people's minds if he continues playing multiple years at a much reduced production level?

One would think that health would be a primary concern, as you mentioned, and possibly eclipse monetary concerns. But you can never tell for certain how a person's ego and self-esteem may fit in. Trout always appeared to me as someone of great confidence in himself and very well centered, and not worried about impressing others and having to have them look up to and adore him. One would also think/hope that he's made enough in his career so far that he wouldn't need to continue playing just to draw a paycheck, and should be set for life by now. But who knows for sure what may drive Trout going forward if he is suddenly faced with career threatening/ending decisions at such a still relatively early age.

Depending on what his doctors can determine, and their prognosis for his future playing ability as well as his personal health situation, I can easily see, and even agree with your thinking, that retirement might be a smart option for him. Depends a lot on what his prognosis is and what the doctors say.