View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 01:17 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I had a very unacceptable experience with Hunt's most recent auction where I was the winning bidder and then my bid was cancelled (???) and someone on the floor got my item for the same bid I made on line. I'm pretty pissed off. Waiting for more information but whether that's on them or Invaluable that's an entirely unacceptable result and frankly stinks to high heaven. I've supported their auctions the last 3-4 years but this has left a bad stench and no one can really tell me anything.
I've participated in their last few live auctions. After reading the rules regarding pre-bidding, I have decided to not make any pre-bids, but to do all my bidding live. This section of the rules bothered me the most, and it sounds like what happened to you:

In the case of tie absentee bids, the first bid placed will be given priority. Lots open at one increment above the second highest ceiling bid, and not at the high bid. Therefore, it is rare, but possible for a live bidder to win a lot for an amount equal to an absentee bidder’s left bid. Due to the nature of incremental bidding, Hunt Auctions will not be held responsible for this occurrence.

A problem I had in one of their earlier auctions is that when the high bid came up, I wasn't 100% certain it was MY pre-bid. So, to be sure, I placed a higher live bid, and later wondered if I'd needlessly bid against myself.

Bottom line, I love their auctions, they run well on auction day, they are one of the few (with Heritage and Grey Flannel) that consistently come up with a good amount of GU flannels, but all I use their pre-bidding for is to cross items off my spreadsheet when the pre-bid amount passes my target on an item.

I might add that I emailed them questions on 4 of their flannels, and it resulted in them updating their descriptions on 3 of them. In one case, a 1955 shirt that was described as original had, in fact, a plastic zipper.

Last edited by Mark17; 07-27-2022 at 01:22 PM.