View Single Post
Old 07-13-2022, 09:05 AM
D@n.M@tsing3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
You know, I can remember a time when we collected what we wanted because we liked the stuff and enjoyed the hobby. The valuation of the cardboard wasn't part of the equation to decide on whether or not to make an addition to the collection. But then again, that's when it was a hobby and in most cases collectors weren't breaking the bank to get a piece of cardboard.

To answer the poll question - I'd take several different rookies because I'd rather look at several cards that include Aaron, Clemente, Mays, Musial, Koufax, Robinson (Jackie, Frank and Brooks) and many more. than only being able to see a Mantle.

Don't get me wrong - Mantle was great, but I'd like to have a variety of cardboard.
The thing is at these prices you really need to consider both. It's too much money to buy things overpriced now because you want to collect a player or set. There is just too many other options to do with some of these sums of money to not consider it. The cards I collect, like comics and coins, are because I think they will hold or increase their value cause otherwise I would just put that money into an index fund. There really isn't a moral high ground to this beyond being better than ripping people off blatantly. Everyone has their purpose to their collections and the right to treat it as such. Tbh I think most of the problems are with modern with breakers and razzers who mark up their items significantly more than they are worth and mislead people on to what the value is (thats no slight to either that are fair on valuations, just those tend to be harder to find). Cause a lot of those people are addicted to gambling and when it comes time they need to cash out they can only get a fraction of what it was sold for.