View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 01:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Lol so young man gets a ticket to the All star from his Dad. Tells Dad he is bringing his shiny new ball to get autographed. Dad encourages this but fails to do the footwork required to obtain any signatures. Then tells young man that only Rich guys with connections and VIP access are allowed to get autographs. Now getting signatures at the ballpark is always difficult and hit or miss. Because No other Human being owes you an autograph.
I am reminded of a sunny day at Yankee Stadium Aaron Judge stops by seats past 3rd base after warmups and signs a few autographs mostly for kids. He leaves and one kid who who was running down the isle to try and get a auto is disappointed and starts yelling at his Mom saying why didn't she know where he should have been standing. Now crowd breaks up and Mom walks down and starts yelling at NYC cop who is there for security after a minute he comes over and Mom says to him here is my sons ball he got here late and wants an auto. Cop laughs and Mom huffs kid yells at Mom and crowd laughs. Because No other person OWES you a signature.
Big part of collecting Auto's is the hunt. If you can't deal with the hunt then you pay for a ticket and stand in line and get a guaranteed auto.
Or you can adopt a completely entitled point of view and hate the fact that you didn't get a signature at the All Star game. Tell the story to all your entitled buddies.
Or maybe ask some stadium employees, talk to some of the folks who got autos learn how to put yourself in a better spot next time. And understand the lesson if at first you dont succeed try try again. Entirely up to each person.
Yeah, that 'bout sums it up: if the kid had gotten a signature, then all would have been OK, but since he didn't, let's condemn the whole thing.

Getting all butt-hurt because you couldn't get up close and personal with a ballplayer at-will is certainly a good reason to trash the entire hobby. I don't like paying for an autograph per se, but I will if the value is there, and I can respect other collectors who devote themselves to getting signed cards and other items. One guy I know spends hours of every day at the show getting signatures, mostly on RCs. He enjoys that pursuit as much as I enjoy rummaging through dollar boxes.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-04-2022 at 01:24 PM.