View Single Post
Old 06-12-2022, 08:12 AM
Bo.b Per.ez

Hello all...A lot of knowledge on this forum which is why I joined. Thank you for that.

I read this thread (well nearly all of it) with great interest as I am a long time collector that would like to begin to liquidate. This has become a more intimidating and daunting task than maybe it was 20 years ago and I'd like to do it with the least hassle and most profit. My collection was always intended to supplement retirement so it's important, I take the best avenue while liquidating.

Last week, I did meet with a tax professional. She was knowledgeable, but as you might guess not an expert on sports cards/memorabilia. She spelled out several options for me:

1) Starting a sole proprietorship. This would allow me all the Schedule C deductions I encounter, however, she discouraged this because of self employment taxes. She mentioned income here would be taxed at my normal income tax rate (24%).

2) Starting a partnership with my silent partner wife, who would then become co-owner of the business (not worried about that) and would avoid self employment taxes. All of the benefits of the sole but with added tax advantage.

3) Just be a collectibles seller on ebay, where I would be able to deduct shipping, fees, supplies. Not sure what else. But I would be taxed at the higher collectibles tax rate, which I believe she said was 28%

So my question here is two fold:

1) What do you think most sellers in our hobby on ebay do? Option #3?
2) Is the added expense and complexity of #2 worth it? I'll assume #1 isn't a viable option unless there is some hidden benefit I can't remember her mentioning.
3) Edited to add a 3rd question...so I guess it's now three-fold. Do you need a TIN to sell at card shows?

Thank you in advance! These are complicated times in our once simple hobby.

Bob

Last edited by Stupe the Second Sacker; 06-12-2022 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Edited to add a third question