View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 04:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
And better yet, how can anyone else know that a particular card is being hoarded if the perceived hoarder never lets on that they are doing this?
This is kind of what I was getting at. I hoard a few cards for fun because they are some of my favorites. I have never talked about them publicly, and nobody seems to be aware someone is hoarding them. I have over 50% of the POP reports cracked out and in my boxes and what is probably a similar percentage of the raw extant examples for these cards. But by shutting up, I haven't escalated the price on myself and these cards have really only risen with inflation. Actual supply and demand doesn't seem to be as important a factor as is often assumed, but perception of it. Obak Miller's cost an arm and a leg, but I don't think they would if people didn't realize most were being won by a hoarder. People run up the price when they perceive a shortage or realize they can sell for more than it 'should' be worth to a hoarder; and these sales then make others pay more. It seems to me the practical way to hoard is to keep quiet and be patient; you'll end up with most of what you want for much less, it will just not produce a lot of the card at once early on when you announce it.