View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 11:34 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Sure I hoard.

But hoarding any Topps card for profit is a fool’s errand.
Hoarding for your own enjoyment should be encouraged , since a hobby is supposed to be fun.

Many people know my hoard card is 1971 Topps Football #186.
I have over 100. That’s not as many as you’d think because they are easily found and cheap (mostly) . So many have come from fellow collector pals, maybe half of them, for free…just because.

In OBC a lot of us have “hoard “ cards, but we’ll never find out the results of the original question. I don’t think we are selling any.

I suppose the original question is surrounded around the “What If” someone lets go of a large stash of 52 Bartirome or 64 Flood or a certain OBAK card.

I can predict the results will be just like BSF e98 cards. Initial high price point and a steep decline as demand cools.
It's both the "what if?" with the implication that hoarding is never really profitable although it upsets quite a few collectors, and the question of whether being public about it actually works better than staying quiet. It's been my belief that it probably does not work better to be vocal and drive up prices, that you'll end up with most copies that come to market anyways at a much lower price if one remains quiet.

I've never thought of my 71 compulsion as hoarding before but it probably is. The most I have is 52 copies of Brodie. I pick up all the low-mid tier stars and HOFers when I see them cheap, under a $1 for a Maynard, Larry Wilson, Bobby Bell, Tarkenton, John Brodie type I generally pick it up with no intention of getting them all. I can't imagine this will ever have any real effect on supply, there are so many 71 footballs out there