View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 03:29 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
No disrespect intended, but I don't think I've ever seen Gehrig on an under appreciated list before. As far as the hobby (or career statistics) is concerned, Ruth is the #1, greatest of all time, transcendent superstar, and Gehrig's prices will never (and should never) reach that level of Ruth.

That said, he's the most expensive card in any set he is in -- or second most expensive when Ruth is in the set. It's hard to compare prices for players in entirely different ears, but IMO he's absolutely in the next echelon with Mantle, Cobb, Mays, etc.
No disputing Ruth as THE greatest of all time. But by the time 1933 Goudey came out, he was at the end. Gehrig was in his prime. Same with DeLong. I feel these 2 cards of Gehrig ought to be in the stratosphere. Beautiful cards. They aren't, go figure. I am fortunate to have a 1933 Goudey Ruth and Gehrig. To me, equal value. Not so if up for sale.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***