View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 01:35 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Eddie Cicotte's 1917 W - L = 28 - 12 (White Sox are World Champs)

Eddie Cicotte's 1919 W - L = 29 - 7 (White Sox are AL Champs)

Comiskey had promised Eddie Cicotte a $10,000 bonus if he could win 30 games in a season. In 1919, when Cicotte closed in on the 30-game goal,
Comiskey had him benched to keep him from reaching the mark. Comiskey's stated reason for having manager Kid Gleason bench Cicotte was that
with the Sox headed for the World Series he had to protect his star pitcher's arm.
What a laugh....Cicotte was a "knuckle-ball" pitcher (and a very effective one).

Both Cicotte and Gandil requested salary hikes.....Comiskey denied them both. The rest is history

TED Z

T206 Reference
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
You're getting this from 8 Men Out and its wrong.

Cicotte won his 29th game on September 19, he made 2 more starts after that. On September 24 he pitched against the Browns and gave up 5 Earned runs and 11 hits in 7 innings. His last start on September 28 against the Tigers, he only pitched 2 innings and gave up 1 run on 3 hits. He had a legitimate shot at 30 wins but pitched poorly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Curious. Eddie pitched the final game of the regular season, and was leading 2-1 after 2 innings. Why pitch him at all so close to the World Series if you're trying to save his arm? And one run in 2 innings is not exactly getting shelled. So I see where he can't complain about not being given a chance to meet his 30 win mark when he could have made it a few days prior against the substandard Browns, but I could also see where he might be miffed about that last game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I dont disagree on the last game, maybe it was an actual tuneup to get some work.

Im just disputing the myth that he was benched. 8 Men Out has so many lies and myths, it should be a work of fiction. Its a shame that people continue to believe the lies when everything can be so easily checked today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
James..... "You're getting this from 8 Men Out and its wrong."

I have never seen the movie "Eight Men Out".....so, your assuming I did is incorrect.

I read what I posted regarding Comiskey / Cicotte many years ago; and, I don't recall the source.

Much information regarding this situation has been Sports writers theories, so we really don't know what the real facts are.
And, we'll most likely never know.

TED Z

I don't know if it's fact or fiction that Comiskey promised Cicotte a $10,000 bonus if he won 30 games but it's not in the contract. The contract says he is to receive $952.50 a month so around $6500-$7000 for the season? Baseball Reference states his salary for 1919 was $9075.00 the losers share for the world series that year was $3254.36 I don't know if that is included in the Baseball Reference Salary.
It also says he was paid $5000 for 1917 & 1918 plus a $2000 bonus for 28 wins in 1917 but it doesn't say anything about a bonus for the 29 wins in 1919.

https://www.greyflannelauctions.com/...-LOT47570.aspx