View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 02:44 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
If the intent is to gage true rarity, then PSA is probably not the best measure for pre-war. Regardless of PSA v. SGC v. raw, a nod has to be given first to sets like Allegheny and Alpha Engraving, which have been complete at some time in the past.

As for other sets more in the spirit, I'd think Jim B's N167 set probably tops your parameters (but I don't recall who it was graded by).

The T215 Pirate set was a near-set as memory serves when it was purchased. I'm not sure whether or not it was ever completed, but its rarity fits the direction you are heading.

E107 has been completed relatively recently for the first time, but again... not sure on the grader. That also would be right up there on the list.

I suspect that there isn't a lot of overlap on the Venn diagram of those who play the PSA registry game and those who seek pre-war, true scarcity.

I am only using the PSA registry because that is the only way ( that I know of) to know what other cards in any said set are out there. If you know a better way PLMK

I submitted the same question in the Post War forum. Howard came up with a set called 1954 Blossom Dairy Charleston Senators A "quiet" member of this board has a complete set of all 22 cards. Looking at the POP report there are 23 cards graded. Thus beside his set there is only 1 other card from the set that has been graded. I would call that a truly rare set. The only thing that could top that is if someone has a complete set of something with no other cards from the set that has been graded.

My thought process for asking this question is I am thinking of submitting my 1959 Dad's Cookies complete set of 64 cards to PSA and wondered how many other cards from the set have been graded. I found that only 28 were. Pretty rare, but nothing like the Blossom Dairy set mentioned above.

I know there are other Dad's Cookie cards out there, but there is no way as I said previously that I can find out exactly how many. Saying that, I truly believe there is no other complete set, but who really knows!!??