View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 03:23 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Not counting all the poses of the N172 Old Judge Set, just 1 of each player (521) is what I was asking for estimates.

Any cost estimates to put together these 2 sets . I was thinking about 2-3 million + for T206 ( 524 set), the N172 Old Judge appears to be impossible. What is the the closest collection to completion of the 521 subjects ? 450 ? 500 ? How much ($$$) to get close to completion ???
The Old Judge N172 set, even at just 1 card per player, is a virtually impossible set to complete. Jay, Joe, and Richard's book even lists out the 100 toughest players to find cards of as of the time of its publication. That list is topped by California league players of which there may only be a card or two of many of the 18 different players in that subgroup. In all my years I have yet to even see a California league player card available for sale.

Plus, when that Goodwin/Old Judge book was originally published in 2008, it only listed 512 different players in the set. Yet if memory serves, by the time the last Krause/SCD vintage catalog came out around 2017, it was showing there were now 525 different players in the Old Judge set. And I would have to think that for any of the new players who were found since 2008, there's likely only going to be a card or two existing for any of them, making them uber-rare as well, on a par with many of the California League player cards.

And with virtually no real current (or recent past) sales history to look at for any of these uber-rare OJ cards, who knows what they could end up going for if they came up for sale in today's market. I would expect most of them individually to easily go for six-figure amounts though. The problem is ever finding all the N172 Old Judge player cards for sale to actually complete a full player set. Because of so many rare cards in the set, it is virtually impossible to make a well educated guess as to what a complete OJ player set would cost in today's market. I could easily see it topping $5M, but where it could end up, who knows? It would be a unique set due to the various 1-of-1 player cards in it.

Meanwhile, there are/have been several documented complete 524 card T206 sets put together, with each set's overall value probably most dependent on condition. Especially the condition of the big four" cards, and with emphasis on the Wagner most of all.

Last edited by BobC; 05-01-2022 at 03:25 PM.