View Single Post
Old 04-30-2022, 07:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Mets combined no-hitter

Interesting seeing the response to the Mets' 5 pitcher no-hitter last night. As a lifelong Mets fan I thought it was a really special night. Particularly cool as a few young pitchers got involved and will get a little slice of baseball history.

As the great Mets announcers stated up front many times in the course of the game, no one would seriously argue that a combined no no is a special as a complete game no no. Of course not. But this is something that has only happened 16 times in baseball history (out of more than 218,000 games). It's pretty cool, and the only combined no-no that involved 5 pitchers in baseball history.

The response among some supposed baseball experts ran the gamut from pretty cool, to well whatever, to it's embarrassing the Mets and their players are even leaving the dugout and making a big deal about this. One major SABR dude told me last night on Twitter that this would be about as meaningful to him as if he found out after the fact that the game he attended broke the major league record for most flyouts to right field.

I'm not sure I would care very much if the Detroit Tigers or Texas Rangers pitched a combined no-no last night, but isn't it more than a bit absurd to crap on something that has happened 16 times in baseball history?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-30-2022 at 08:09 AM.