View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 04:53 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I use Facebook extensively besides reading this site regularly. The two experiences are wildly different.

This board clearly skews older in many ways - the items collected, the physical age of the members, the experience of the collectors, and so on. The knowledge for anything pre-2000 or so is incredibly deep here. It doesn't take long to get an answer if you're asking about some obscure 1916 postcard that only has 3 exemplars - and someone here probably owns one of the three. You won't find that on Facebook.

This board also has a superior structure for promoting actual discussion. Posts don't appear in a random order and they rarely disappear.

Facebook has the advantage of having a much larger audience. And the knowledge on newer products is far higher.

But the structure of Facebook stinks. Posts appear in seemingly random order, show up as new 3 days after they were posted originally, and so on. You never quite know what you're getting.

Like I said, I use Facebook extensively. Not so much for cards - though I'm a member of some groups - but for personal interaction with friends. I rarely post on my Facebook wall anymore but I am very active in a handful of groups and have made many, many good friends through them.